Tuesday, June 23, 2015

I've moved now, from three floors of rooms filled with furniture, clothing, books, art work, photographs and memories.  three weeks in, and I feel centered, in control, safe.  transitions are hard, and this one made mostly alone, no spouse to share the work, the memories, the decisions!  do I keep the dozen pictures of each of our kids and grandkids, in picture frames and binders, printed "books" and loose.  Is t his baby picture of my son, or perhaps his son?  looks a bit like my husband as a small boy too.  I've changed my address countless times, over endless "on hold" telephone calls, forms to complete for voter registration, car registration, The Nation and New Yorker mags that I want to continue to receive.  so, some lessons I've learned:

1. slow down!  not everything can be done in a day, or week.
2 enjoy the process:  unwrapping each picture and book could be done with speed and haste, but how much better to look at each, remember when paintings were bought, when trips to foreign lands were taken, when a special book was read.
3. feel free to decide if something, a picture, a wall hanging, clay bowls and plates and teapots (three which I've never used), can be donated.
4.read your body:  don't lift stuff too heavy, or try to reach a top shelf, or carry to many items to 'save time'.
5. save time each day for play:  a walk, a visit with friends, of course including lunch; meditate, breathe.....yes,that does help!
6. think of something you have always wanted to do, but never found the time:  writing, or learning a new language, or taking up a new hobby, anything from bridge, to painting, to yoga.  

oh, never forget to laugh, and hug, and share, ideas, food, time.  
June 23, 2015 ( one day short of my 74th birthday!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment