Monday, July 15, 2013

fitness and fitting in


 
thoughts on our bodies.  Written in 2009, and yes, I'm still working on the fitness part!
 

Fitness and fitting in

 

 

The alarm rang, disrupting a dream filled with shadowy figures wandering hallways, drifting through time.  It took a few moments for me to make that wrenching transition from sleep to waking.  While my dreams recently have been complex and filled with strangers moving about in odd, unfamiliar settings, they dissolve into shadows, and my early mornings are always still and silent.  There is no one stretched out next to me, his room-darkening mask covering deep brown eyes, his breathing just audible.  There was a reason for setting the alarm today, but I momentarily forget it and in my confusion, wonder why it’s still so dark outside.  This is June, after all; where is the early morning sun?  But it is indeed time to wake up, into this gloomy today, with rain already threatening to drench the already over-watered flower beds. Today, I belatedly remember, I have to be at my physical therapy appointment for aquatic exercises, to strengthen my leg muscles and help me regain my balance after a grueling year with my left ankle encased in a walking boot cast.  

 

When I arrive at the pool, I greet the staff, and the now familiar faces of others slowly walking or gliding around the heated pool.  After coming to sessions for about a month now, many of the faces are familiar to me, and we remark to each other on improvements in gait, or strength as we lazily move through the warm water, laps forward and back, sideways and with legs crossed.  A generation ago, such a  group of men and women,  in their 60’s and 70’s, would never have worked so hard to stay fit or regain strength after surgery or injury.  I recall my grandmother, sitting on a stool in the kitchen or on the front porch, her fingers gnarled with arthritis, her back permanently bent.  Her only exercise consisted of the daily routines of food preparation. Yet here are two older black men, comparing knee replacement surgery experiences, laughing about the prospect of needing periodic ‘lube jobs’ like their cars.  Two Asian women slowly swim laps, never stopping while they talk quietly of grandchildren, or compare notes on instructors teaching women to move through the stiffness of their arthritis.  Helen is the preferred instructor, I gather, since she is close to their age, and joins the class in the pool. Another woman, well into her 80’s, walks her twenty minutes smoothly and gracefully, before she climbs out of the pool, retrieves her cane, and bent almost double, slowly makes her way to the elevator.  She and her husband live in a nearby senior housing complex. He has rapidly advancing Parkinson’s disease, and she uses this time alone as a needed respite from his daily care.

 

After my session, I return upstairs, greeting the usual gang of men and women sitting around a low table, resting from walking treadmills, or lifting weights.  The talk is usually of politics but more recently about health care.  Each has very clear ideas about the best way to solve our growing health care crisis; but all agree that it must be fixed, and it must be fair, and it must be soon.  As I look around the gym, I see so many older adults, working their bodies to the limit, defying entropy, defying disintegration of body and mind.   Across the road sits a senior center, open and available to local community members.  Compared to the usual mid-morning members at the club, the senior center is filled with the truly elderly, many in wheel-chairs or walkers, some drifting from quiet conversations to catnaps, all past dreams of rebuilding their worn bodies.  Are we, at the gym, fighting against reality, or are we changing reality? If “fifty is the new thirty” than is “seventy the new fifty?”  Will our generation, the pre-baby boomers, be the first ones to try to outrun, out-fox age and infirmity? Do we need a human version  of “jiffy-lube” for our bodies, bringing them in for periodic tune-ups; a knee replacement here, a rotator cuff repair there; then back on the road, or the bicycle, or treadmill?  How old is old?

No comments:

Post a Comment