Monday, July 8, 2013

My blog, ideally

Ideally, I hope this blog will provide an opportunity to share my own journey into aging, thoughts, poetry, suggestions for fully experiencing this next stage of life.  I spent most of my career working to improve systems of care for medically fragile children and children with mental illness to provide them and their parents with a coordinated, family centered, set of services and supports.  As I've aged, I've come to realize how critical this concept is for seniors, and have begun reading, teaching, writing about ways for us to keep control of our lives, get the most from these years, and, oh yes, enjoy them!!  finding humor, and insights and love and sustenance among our family, friends and providers of services. 
So I start this blog with a poem I wrote, to set the stage. 

Sensing change

I’m sensing my senses are slowly subsiding

Acuity starting to fade.

Where once I could see in bright sun or dark night

Now I find myself squinting in shade.

 

That sound of a pin drop, the cry of a babe

Could be heard from a distant room.

While now I lean forward and strain to hear

Sounds as shrill as a sonic boom.

 

I’ve learned to ask “please, could you say that again?”

Or, “Is this the brightest it gets?”

I rely on the smiles, or the laughs of the crowd

To follow along with the rest.

 

How easy it is to forget to remember the value of hearing and sight

We move through our days and our spaces with ease,

Putting out all unneeded lights.

 

I’ve learned to accept needed help on occasion,

To change a light bulb or two.

I walk with more care, or hold on to a rail,

Call a plumber if pipes start to spew.

 

I teach fellow seniors to risk, to take chances,

To ask for the help that we need,

Its better to barter, a home baked cake for a ride,

Than sit home and start going to seed.

 

But the loneliest moments, the times filled with dread,

Come when sitting among all our peers,

And you so want to add to the stories and comments,

But you haven’t a clue what was said.

 

Reality hits me; I know what to do, to stay active and unafraid.

 Get that cataract fixed, aids for both ears in place, and you go, girl, and lead the parade!

 

2 comments:

  1. Great poem! Sounds so familiar...

    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go Girl!! Can't wait to read more ... Linda

    ReplyDelete